After the Fukushima nuclear incident occurred in March 2011, Taipower actively conducted a comprehensive nuclear safety assessment and undertook further measures to promote nuclear safety reinforcement tasks to upgrade the safety protection capability of nuclear power plants and boost the public’s confidence in our nuclear operational safety. Our government also revisited national energy policy and made an announcement on new energy policy, including: no life extension for the existing nuclear power plants, no consideration for further new nuclear power plant projects, and enhancing the development of renewable energy to the utmost and expansion of natural gas power generation.
In view of the aforementioned significant policy changes and under the continuing greenhouse gas emission reduction challenges, the company continues to review and adjust its development direction and management strategies and adopt necessary measures to deal with these issues. According to the new energy policy, the power supply-side should expedite and expand renewable energy development and promote reasonable use of natural gas. In addition, for the power grid-side, Taipower will establish a smart grid system, in accordance with the Bureau of Energy’s Smart Grid Master Plan (including Advanced Metering Infrastructure, AMI) to integrate distributed power sources to enable the customer to take advantage of a value-added service for smarter power consumption; for the customer-side, Taipower will promote demand-side management in order to continuously upgrade energy utilization efficiency and energy conservation. Furthermore, the company strengthens and improves internal management through the establishment of strategies and the Management by Objective (MBO) system to actively improve internal management effectiveness to enhance its overall operation efficiency and reduce production cost. Our future development paradigm and management strategies are as follows:
■ For our future development paradigm, Taipower will do its utmost to position itself as ①a leader for low-carbon power generation, ②a high-efficiency power operator, ③a smart grid builder, ④a high-quality power provider and ⑤a practitioner of corporate social responsibility, to become the most trusted and indispensable partner of its society. The specifics of this paradigm are described as follows:
● A leader for low-carbon power generation: Complying with the government policy, through the measures of reducing power consumption growth and trading carbon credits domestically and overseas to create green power and cultivate an atmosphere of energy conservation in society.
● A high-efficiency power operator: Accelerating the replacement of old facilities in existing power plants, introducing high-efficiency generation facilities and technologies, strengthening operation management and safety performance of power plants, and effectively upgrading power supply quality and reliability.
● A smart grid builder: Proactively utilizing the development of advanced power electronic technology to establish a smart power grid, providing value-added services to customers and becoming a domestically indispensable power transmission and distribution operator.
● A high-quality power provider: Making the shift from pursuing production-oriented power supply and customer consumption behavior sales-oriented services to anticipating customer needs in order to provide customer-oriented service that meets multiple demands.
● A practitioner of corporate social responsibility: Substantiating the company’s governance and strengthening corporate ethics, cultivating social caring activities and co-existing and co-prospering with local communities, and establishing a proactive, mutually caring and disciplined industrial safety culture to fulfill corporate social responsibility.
■ For management strategies, the company formulated the following 8 overall strategies: ①upgrading productivity and improving financial performance, ②strengthening customer services and confronting liberalization challenges, ③fulfilling corporate social responsibility and enhancing corporate image, ④improving energy source mixture and regional power supply balance, ⑤promoting a smart power grid and enhancing power supply quality, ⑥developing low-carbon energy sources and establishing a sustainable environment, ⑦strengthening the passing on of experience and cultivating core manpower, and ⑧securing core technology, strengthening innovation and application of technology, and setting up measuring indexes, various implementation strategies and action plans to achieve the overall strategies and formulate the company's future work emphasis.
New Business Development
The promotion for new business development is based on the strategy of “extending core business, reinforcing flexible use of assets, and entering into power-related businesses.”
At present, Taipower is engaging in the following businesses: development and operation of Australia's Bengalla Coal Mine, personnel training services, land development, property management, operation and maintenance of power plant services, instrument and test equipment calibration services, etc. Taipower reinvested businesses include Taiwan Stock Exchange Corporation, Taiwan Cogeneration Corporation, United Asia Electric Company, Bengalla Coal Mine, Agriculture, and Sales Corporations of Australia.
Furthermore, the company is presently considering the establishment of new businesses including educational recreation, advisement, recycling of coal ash, etc. These plans are being made in hopes that the company's diversification promotion task can blossom and bear fruit in the near future.
Human Resources Strategy
In order to pass on technologies and experience, adjust manpower structure, facilitate manpower resource development and upgrade management performance in human resources strategy, Taipower emphasizes core manpower cultivation and the passing on of core professional technologies. Based on a manpower recruitment plan and a talent cultivation system that began in 2005, Taipower plans to gradually recruit the necessary core manpower and proactively implement cultivation tasks, including promoting a mentoring system, substantiating a rotation system, strengthening an evaluation mechanism, and establishing a succession mechanism based on a “new branches from veteran cadres” concept, where the old, middle-aged and young workers may work together harmoniously
To alleviate the impact on the company’s management caused by mass and concentrated retirement in the coming 10 years, Taipower plans to recruit in advance new employees to pre-fill some of the future vacancies. This measure will shorten the time required for transferring work and the passing-on of technologies between the old and the new employees. This will be done to prepare for cultivating professional power technologies for new employees, some of whom will work on newly added businesses and some of whom will undergo preparation for earning nuclear power plant operators’ licenses. These actions will upgrade the competitiveness and promote the sustainable management of the company.